COIL GRADUATION POLICY
The Circle of IndependentLearning is designed, through personalized learning, to reach the unique bentof genius in each of its students. This personalized education plan will be developmentally appropriate for each student, designed for the studentsparticular bent of genius. While the plan will enhance the strengths of thestudent, it will also provide a systematic strengthening of his area of weakness. Our school plan will enable students to become literate,self-motivated life-long learners, academically prepared for the 21stcentury.
To ensure that COIL’s school-widegoals are met, the following criteria has been established for a student to graduate with a high school diploma from the Circle of Independent Charter School with no less than 25 units having to be completed at COIL beginning with graduates of 2016:
1. COIL students shall successfully complete most benchmarks in grades K-8 before admittance into the high school program.
2. COIL students will complete 210 credits in the following course work required for graduation:
4 years English 40 Credits
3 years Mathematics 30 Credits
2 years Science 20 Credits
3 years Social Science 30 Credits
2 years Physical Education 20 Credits
1 year Fine Arts or World Language or
Career Technical Education (
Electives 60 Credits
3. COIL high school students will pass the California High School Exit Exam*
4. COIL high school students will successfully prepare and deliver an oral presentation*
5. COIL students will investigate their interests as they explore the arts, humanities, and other electives
6. COIL high school students will examine their intersts and strengths and apply this study to learning about college and career options
7. COIL high school students will complete 40 hours of documented community service
8. Technology proficiency will be incorporated into course work and objectives
*Students with an IEP or Section 504 Plan may be exempt of this passing score if all other conditions are met including taking the CAHSEE in Grades 10, 11 and 12.