As described in our school charter, COIL will assess the success of its individualized educational non-classroom plans with multiple assessment tools. We are also required to provide annual standardized tests to all of our students by the State of California. As a personalized learning charter school, we could easily lose our charter by not meeting this requirement.
Please support COIL as we encourage all students to participate in the appropriate assessments listed below to provide academic information about the student and statistical data concerning individual growth and to fulfill state regulations.
The following is a list of mandatory tests administered by COIL. Please refer to the current school calendar for key testing dates.
● California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) is administered once yearly. The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress, or CAASPP, is the state academic testing program. CAASPP is a system intended to provide information that can be used to monitor student progress and ensure that all students leave high school ready for college and career. CAASPP includes computer adaptive tests in English language arts and mathematics as well as tests for science.
Students in grades 3-8 and 11 will take the computer adaptive tests in English and math in the spring. Students in grades 5, 8, and 10 will take the tests in science. Following the spring testing, students will receive individual score reports. Student score reports will be sent home to parents/guardians in late summer/early fall and will include an overall score, a description of the student’s achievement level for English language arts, mathematics, science (if applicable), and other information. If you would like more information, please visit the Parent/Student tab of the CDE CAASPP Web page at http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/. Parents and guardians have the right to exempt their child from taking the CAASPP assessments. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your child’s participation, please contact your child’s Advisory Teacher.
● Physical Fitness Testing (PFT) is administered once yearly. The PFT will be administered to all 5th, 7th and 9th graders, and attendance is mandatory.
● 9th Grade Math Placement Test - Per the California Mathematics Placement Act of 2015, all 9th grade students are tested to ensure correct placement in math related courses.
● Renaissance Learning Basic Assessment Tests - At least twice a year, COIL administers assessment tests to determine student educational needs and overall academic growth. These tests, along with the state CAASPP tests help advisory teachers to develop personalized educational plans for each student.
● English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC) - The State of California mandates that the ELPAC be given to students who speak another language when they first enter a California public school. This test identifies students who are English learners (limited in English proficiency) so that schools may immediately provide appropriate instruction to meet their needs. The ELPAC must also be given to all English learners every year to monitor their progress in learning English and to help evaluate the programs they receive. The test has four parts: Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing. Students assigned to take this test will take it in the spring each year. Additionally, students who speak another language other than English will be tested upon registration. If you have any questions about the test, please call Federal and State Programs at (510) 659-2531.
- Annual Parent Surveys